Slow Cooker Calico Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes15 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) vegetarian baked beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 195 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 859mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 8g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 18, 2016
This is my go-to baked bean recipe and I've made it many times now. They have so much flavor! It is a truly enormous batch, so if you don't need a lot of baked beans, I recommend halving the recipe or just couting on a lot of leftovers. Excellent for a crowd!
Aug 1, 2015
So easy to make and delicious. I'll definitely make this recipe again.
Jul 1, 2015
This is a fantastic recipe! I never cared for baked beans but homemade is way better :) I have made this several times, some as directed, and this last time I changed it (we no longer eat sugar) by using marinara sauce instead of ketchup & honey (to taste, maybe 1/4 cup) instead of brown sugar. I also doubled the amount of onion & bell pepper & added garlic & fresh parsley. It was soooo good! Never got so many compliments from my family on a veggie dinner (we had it with potatoes & asparagus).
Jun 17, 2014
Excellent dish. Loved that I could use my slow cooker. I used banana peppers as my garden is full of them. Will make and take on an upcoming family camping vacation.
Sep 27, 2013
Neither of us could put our finger on it but it just had a funny taste.
Jun 9, 2013
Excellent recipe. It works great in a slow cooker, I let it cook on high for several hours stirring occasionally, then turned to low. Also, I used Olive Oil instead of Canola to sauté the veggies and it is really good!!
May 26, 2013
I may have added a bit more Worcestershire sauce as I didn't measure carefully. It turned out well. I will make it again.