Calico Corn Salsa
"A friend gave me the recipe for this colorful salsa...and when I took it to a luncheon, everyone loved it," shares Jennifer Gardner of Sandy, Utah. Double the ingredients for larger gatherings.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, combine the corn and peas. In a nonstick skillet, cook cumin and oregano in oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Pour over corn mixture; stir to coat evenly. Stir in the beans, tomato and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice, mustard, garlic and salt. Stir in cilantro. Pour over corn mixture and stir to coat. Serve with tortilla chips. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 107 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Calico Corn Salsa in Light & Tasty June/July 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.