Chuck Wagon Beans
Connie Staal doesn't have to ring the dinner bell twice when these Western-style beans are on the menu. Using lean ground beef makes the entree lighter on calories, but not on taste. "Since I began fixing lighter meals for my husband, I've learned lots of tricks to lower the fat in foods," she writes from Greenbrier, Arkansas.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef, celery, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the pork and beans, tomato soup, water, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard and beef mixture.
- Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until heated through and mixture reaches desired thickness.