Hearty Chicken and Beans
I had a can of chili beans in my pantry and decided to add it to one of my standby chicken recipes. I hope you enjoy the new and interesting taste.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 20 min.
- 3-1/2 to 4 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups water
- Hot cooked rice
- Bone and skin chicken; cut into bite-size pieces. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1/4 cup soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and cumin if desired; add chicken. Seal bag; refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook chicken for 6-8 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon; set aside. Saute celery in drippings for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the beans, water chestnuts and mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Add chicken.
- Combine the cornstarch, water and remaining soy sauce until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Originally published as Hearty Chicken and Beans in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.