Pressure-Cooker Cajun-Style Beans and Sausage
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 min. + releasing
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/3 cups cooked brown rice
- Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; brown sausage. Add broth; cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen browned bits. Press cancel. Stir in beans, tomatoes, vegetables, garlic and seasonings.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 5 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. Serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled sausage mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup sausage and bean mixture with 2/3 cup rice: 377 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 826mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 10g fiber), 18g protein.
Nov 1, 2019
I expected this Cajun recipe to have more flavor. I did not like the sweetness of the carrots in this. I will leave them out next time and add more spice.
Jul 17, 2019
The recipe is two different recipes.....the instructions mention Cumin, pork chops and oil. None of those are in the ingredients list
Mar 24, 2019