Pressure Cooker Red Beans and Rice
My family loves New Orleans-style cooking, so I make this dish often. I appreciate how simple it is, and the smoky ham flavor is scrumptious. —Celinda Dahlgren, Napa, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min. + releasing
- 3 cups water
- 2 smoked ham hocks (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 35 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
- Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones. Finely chop meat and return to pressure cooker; discard bones. Stir in tomato, green pepper and salt. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until pepper is tender, 8-10 minutes. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup bean mixture with 2/3 cup rice: 216 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 671mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 12g fiber), 12g protein.
Jan 4, 2020
Beans were not done after 35 minutes. I had to pressure cook longer.
Jan 4, 2020
I got a pressure cooker for Christmas, and this was the first recipe I tried in it. The directions were very clear and it turned out great! Its a must-try! So good!