Pressure Cooker BBQ Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + soaking Cook: 35 min. + releasing
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried great northern beans
- 2 smoked ham hocks (about 1/2 pound each)
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons onion powder, divided
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, optional
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker, combine beans, ham hocks, water, onion, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon onion powder. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 30 minutes. When finished cooking, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure according to manufacturer's directions.
- Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Cut meat into small cubes, discarding bones; return meat to pressure cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce, brown sugar, nutmeg, cloves, remaining garlic powder, remaining onion powder and, if desired, pepper sauce. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 3 minutes. When finished cooking, allow pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure according to manufacturer's directions.
Test Kitchen tips
Jan 28, 2018
These were great. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out perfectly. I soaked my beans overnight and the cooking time in my instant pot was just as the recipe called for. I prefer my beans slightly sweeter, so I stirred a little extra brown sugar in my dish, but the rest of the family ate it without any extra sugar.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.