Pressure-Cooker Smoky White Beans and Ham
I had never made or even eaten this dish before meeting my husband. Now I make it at least once a week. I serve it with some homemade sweet cornbread. Delicious! —Christine Duffy, Sturgis, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. + releasing
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 3 smoked ham hocks (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Rinse and sort beans. Transfer to a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Add ham hocks. Stir in broth, water, onion and seasonings. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. Press cancel.
- When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; cut ham into small pieces and return to pressure cooker. Serve with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with green onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 196 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 594mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 10g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Originally published as White Northern Beans in Skinny Instant Pot