Pressure Cooker Beefy Cabbage Bean Stew
While on one of our small group quilting retreats, one of my friends made this wonderful recipe for dinner. We all loved it and have since passed it around for others to enjoy—now I'm passing it on to you. —Melissa Glancy, La Grange, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 cups shredded cabbage or angel hair coleslaw mix
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup salsa or picante sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker; adjust for medium heat. Cook beef until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Return to pressure cooker.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 3 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 177 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Spicy Cabbage Beef Soup in Skinny Instant Pot
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.