Pressure-Cooker Spice Trade Beans and Bulgur
A rich blend of treasured spices turn nutritious bulgur and chickpeas into a tangy stew with just the right amount of heat. And the hint of sweetness from golden raisins makes the perfect accent. —Faith Cromwell, San Francisco, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups bulgur
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add 1 tablespoon oil. When oil is hot, cook and stir bulgur until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pressure cooker.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in pressure cooker. Cook and stir onions and red pepper until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer. Press cancel. Add broth, soy sauce and bulgur to pressure cooker.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on low for 12 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Add tomatoes, beans, raisins and brown sugar; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is slightly thickened and heated through, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.