Spice Trade Beans & Bulgur
A rich blend of treasured spices flavors tender, nutritious bulgur and chickpeas in a tangy, nutritious stew that has just the right amount of heat. A hint of sweetness from golden raisins is the perfect accent. —Faith Cromwell, San Francisco, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups bulgur
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and pepper; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add bulgur; cook and stir until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add bulgur, tomatoes, broth, brown sugar and soy sauce to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until bulgur is tender. Stir in beans and raisins; cook 30 minutes longer. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 245 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 8g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as No Meat Chili in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.