Black Bean Bulgur Salad
The only cooking in this easy bulgur salad is heating the broth and bulgur. You can adapt the recipe to your preference; if you want to add chopped cooked chicken, use chicken broth in place of vegetable broth. —Carole Resnick, Cleveland, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sliced jalapeno pepper, optional
- Place bulgur and broth in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly.
- For dressing, whisk together citrus juices, minced jalapeno, oil and cumin. Add 1/3 cup dressing to bulgur; stir in carrots and cilantro.
- To serve, divide bulgur mixture among 4 bowls. Top with beans, corn, cheese and, if desired, sliced jalapeno. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Test Kitchen tips