White Bean Arugula Salad
My red, white and green salad is inspired by the Italian flag. Top it with shaved Parmesan. —Malia Estes, Allston, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 slices pancetta, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups torn fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a small skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- In same pan, heat oil and drippings over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, rosemary, salt and pepper; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until tomatoes are softened. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, tomato mixture, pancetta, vinegar and basil. Add arugula and cheese; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 340 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 915mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 9g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as White Bean Arugula Salad in Simple & Delicious June/July 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.