Hearty Italian White Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potato and carrots; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add onion, celery, zucchini and jalapeno; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 164 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 4, 2018
I used vegetable stock instead of chicken stock to make this vegetarian.
Jul 7, 2015
Made as written just so/so. Needs more seasoning.
Jun 18, 2014
This is a good recipe but I added a few spices too (salt, pepper, garlic powder). Loved the little kick the jalapeno added.
May 14, 2014
I doubled the ingredients and added celery, bell peppers, and a sweet potato (just because I had them to use up.) Even with 4 cups of broth, soup needed more so I added a can of diced tomatoes and 1 1/2 cups water. Used Italian seasons for spice and a touch of garlic powder. Also added salt to taste and freshly ground black pepper. Very nice! Will make this again.
May 14, 2014
I doubled the ingredients and added celery, bell peppers, and a sweet potato (just because I had them to use up.) Even with 4 cups of broth, soup needed more so I added a can of diced tomatoes. Used Italain seasons for spice and a touch of garlic powder. Also added salt to taste and freshley ground black pepper. Very nice! Will make this again.