Hearty Italian White Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potato and carrots; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add onion, celery, zucchini and jalapeno; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 164 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 4, 2018
I used vegetable stock instead of chicken stock to make this vegetarian.
Jul 7, 2015
Made as written just so/so. Needs more seasoning.
Jun 18, 2014
This is a good recipe but I added a few spices too (salt, pepper, garlic powder). Loved the little kick the jalapeno added.
May 14, 2014
I doubled the ingredients and added celery, bell peppers, and a sweet potato (just because I had them to use up.) Even with 4 cups of broth, soup needed more so I added a can of diced tomatoes and 1 1/2 cups water. Used Italian seasons for spice and a touch of garlic powder. Also added salt to taste and freshly ground black pepper. Very nice! Will make this again.
May 14, 2014
I doubled the ingredients and added celery, bell peppers, and a sweet potato (just because I had them to use up.) Even with 4 cups of broth, soup needed more so I added a can of diced tomatoes. Used Italain seasons for spice and a touch of garlic powder. Also added salt to taste and freshley ground black pepper. Very nice! Will make this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.