White Bean and Pasta Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 2 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1-1/2 cups dried great northern beans
- 3/4 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked small shell pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In the same pan, cook the sausage, onion, carrot and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, water, currants, basil and reserved beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and pasta; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 180 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 648mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein.
Feb 6, 2014
This is a great winter soup! I used 1 1/4 lb. Andouille sausage diced, an extra carrot, a bay leaf instead of currants, and everybody thoroughly enjoyed it. The grated Parmesan cheese is a nice touch as well as a drizzle of olive oil.
Jan 27, 2012
Very good recipe, next time I will add hot sausage in it. Husband is a chef and he thought it was a very good recipe.
Jun 27, 2009
This sounds good...printed it off. I'd proberably add a bay leaf, too. Elizabeth
Jun 27, 2009
Really good soup. Perfect when it starts to get colder outside. The only changes I made were to omit the currants (I couldnt find them in my store). I also just used a pound of sausage instead of buying the links and having to remove all the casings. Next time though I will add more pasta and another carrot just to cater to my taste more. I still give this 5 stars because it was still delicious as is.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.