Summer Squash & White Bean Soup
I love using summer squash in soups. This one's hearty as is, but stir in chopped ham for an extra wallop of flavor. Serve this warm or chilled. —Sara Hornbeck, Knoxville, Tennessee
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium yellow summer squash, cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add squash and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until squash is tender. Stir in one can of beans, parsley, tarragon and salt. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender. Return to pan; stir in remaining can of beans and heat through. Top each serving with yogurt.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups with 2 tablespoons yogurt: 290 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 1187mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Summer Squash and White Bean Soup in Simple & Delicious June/July 2015
Jun 13, 2019
Great way to use up summer squash that over runs the garden! Hearty but nice and light!
May 18, 2015
My family enjoyed this for dinner last night. I subbed fresh basil from my garden for the parsley. A delicious, light summer soup!