Red Bean Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 3 large sweet red peppers, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the peppers, celery, onions and beans. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 158 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 701mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Mar 2, 2011
This was excellent. I used black beans and added a can of diced tomatoes with chilies and spices and a can of corn. Am making it again today. We had our son and daughter-in-law over that evening and both loved it and wanted the recipe. I have sent it to a couple of other people. This is easy and really tastey.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.