White Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 2 hours
Makes11 servings (1-3/4 quarts)
- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound dried great northern beans
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid; set beans aside. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. In the same pan, saute chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. Saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add the carrots, celery and garlic; saute 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the broth, water, pepper, beans and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in parsley and remaining salt.
- Serve immediately or cool and freeze in a freezer container for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 270 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 499mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 17, 2016
Something is missing. I found this rather tasteless.
Apr 21, 2015
Really quite good. It was surprising how much adding white beans could change the standard chicken soup.
Feb 9, 2013
Very good soup. It is hearty and filling. I served it with Honey Whole Wheat Rolls (recipe here in Taste of Home) and they were wonderful together.