Bean and Pasta Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan, saute the celery, carrots and onion in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes, broth, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Drain pasta; stir into vegetable mixture. Add the beans; heat through. Stir in spinach; cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 218 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 13, 2013
I love soups of all kinds. I especially love soup with beans and/or spinach. This soup fills you up without filling you out. Very good.
May 22, 2013
We really enjoyed this soup at my house. I made it because I was trying to use up some more fresh kale. Since we like lots of greens, I used two cups of chopped kale and one cup of chopped spinach. Other than that I put this on the stove and I RELAXED. One idea someone had was to add the pasta right before serving or in the bowl rather than let it get soggy in the soup. Everyone likes things different ways but I thought this was a great idea so I am copying that person! I often put small bags of cooked pasta in the freezer for the two of us and this worked out great. Thanks for a good recipe.
Apr 24, 2013
I love rosemary, but did not care for it in this dish. Cooking a soup for 12 minutes isn't long enough to blend the flavors so if you are trying it, cook it a little longer. All in all, very bland except for that annoying Rosemary.
Apr 14, 2013
sme soup rom a cookbook I have but with pasta added
Feb 3, 2013
My husband & I both really enjoyed it. Very filling!
Jun 9, 2012
All the vegetables were great but did not find this flavorable. I used zesty diced tomatoes.
Feb 12, 2012
I thought it was very good, but my husband wouldn't eat it (he's picky). The 2nd time I used a 7 bean soup mix, with chicken broth & put in parboiled chopped red potatoes. The pasta adds too many carbs. I'll be eating this for a week.
Jan 15, 2012
Jan 12, 2012
I did substitute fresh parsley for the dried rosemary as I am not a fan of rosemary. I used a whole can of vegetable broth (16 oz) and that gave it plenty of broth. Also, I never add the pasta to the soup. I keep it separate and just add it to each bowl as I go, since the pasta always absorbs the broth. It makes the soup last longer!
Dec 10, 2011
enjoyed this soup,was alot like minestone!