Chicken Soup with Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (7 ounces each) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Avocado slices, optional
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, water, chopped green chiles, lime juice and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through. If desired, serve with avocado slices.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 123 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 4, 2019
I made this on the stove as my slow cooker was already occupied and otherwise followed directions as given. My husband loved the soup; I thought it was a little bland and needed a little more flavor. I might try using low sodium chicken broth next time to give it a little body. It was tasty, however, and so I definitely will make it again. I cut flour tortillas into thin strips and baked them in the oven about 10 minutes until they were just starting to get a little brown and were crispy. They are a healthier topping than tortilla chips or corn chips.