Chicken Soup with Beans
Loaded with classic southwestern flavors, this soup is so satisfying. If you like, crush lime-flavored tortilla chips into serving bowls before you ladle in the soup. —Penny Peronia, West Memphis, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (7 ounces each) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Avocado slices, optional
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, water, chopped green chiles, lime juice and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through. If desired, serve with avocado slices.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 123 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Soup with Beans in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.