Chicken Lima Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound dried large lima beans
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, sliced
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beans, chicken, water, celery, bouillon, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pan. Add carrots; simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach and parsley; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 227 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 793mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 19g protein.
Mar 21, 2020
Please know my adjustments were due to lack of plain salt (I used seasoned salt, all I had but grateful I did!) due to the grocery stores being empty (pandemic hoarding :( as well as a love for bay leaves (just 1 small one) and onions (1/2 onion, diced) in my soup....I also adjusted this so I could cook it in my 8 qt instant pot (High Pressure 35 mins, NR for 10). I put the chicken on a rack so I could pull it out easy to pick it at the end of cooking, Poured in all the rest of the ingredients around it.threw in the spinach while I picked the meat off the bones. This was delicious soup!
Jan 21, 2012
I thought this recipe may have been too plain to be really tasty. OMG, this soup is delicious and I am so glad I was willing to try it...exceeded my expectations.
Feb 12, 2011
Sep 7, 2010
Super, super soup! I have never had anything like this before and thought we'd give it a try. It was excellent!