Chicken Veggie Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes7 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-3/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and peppers in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low until chicken and barley are tender, 5-6 hours. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 212 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 1236mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 15g protein.
Aug 21, 2017
Very good!! I added a few more veggies but kept pretty much to this recipe (which is pretty unusual for me!)
Feb 26, 2014
I skipped sauteing the veges for time, but I think I will do it next time.
Apr 5, 2012
I also used a rotisserie chicken. I think the next time I will add more barley. I also added in a zucchini.
Sep 21, 2011
This soup was very easy to make and delicious! Perfect for a cool weather meal.Very hearty and the flavors get better with time. This recipe is a keeper. Easy to tweek and make it your own.
Sep 18, 2011
Delicious soup. Instead of using the chicken breasts, I bought an already cooked rotisserie chicken from the Deli and shredded it. Turned out great.
Sep 2, 2010
Very good. I sauted veggies, but would skip this step next time around. Also added a couple stalks of celery and a bay leaf for flavor.
Aug 30, 2010
This is an easy, hearty soup that my family really enjoyed! I substituted a sliced zucchini for the mushrooms (b/c my son doesn't care for mushrooms) and, since I didn't have time that morning to saute the onions, peppers & garlic, I just put them in the slow cooker along with all of the other ingredients. It turned out beautifully - thick and very flavorful! I will definitely be adding this recipe to my collection.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.