Winter Squash Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups mashed cooked butternut, acorn or Hubbard squash
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the squash, parsley, salt, savory, rosemary and nutmeg and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan and heat through. Gradually stir in cream. Cook 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 170 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 14, 2015
Delicious! This has become a family favorite for the winter months. I also add chopped carrots to the onions & celery.
Oct 31, 2014
I made this soup the other night and my husband and I both raved about how delicious this soup is! I didn't have dried savory so I used thyme instead. I used an acorn squash. The soup also had a nice color to it, I will be making this a lot thru Fall/Winter months, its perfect for 4 good bowlfuls. Thank You for a great recipe, we love it!
Oct 19, 2014
This soup really hit the spot on a recent cool evening. My husband liked it so much that he wants me to make it again next week when his mother comes to visit.
Oct 21, 2012
My second year of making this yummy soup! It's a keeper!
Jan 12, 2012
This has become one of our favorite winter meals with warm bread. Add a drop of sourcream and crumbled bacon on top makes it perfect!
Oct 7, 2009
I made this without the garlic and used skim milk in place of the cream. I also used a light margarine in place of the butter. It lowered the fat content somewhat and was fantastic!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.