Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Fresh sage, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the squash, carrot, onion and cumin in oil for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1-1/2 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender; cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a blender; add the tomatoes, cream cheese, basil, chipotle pepper and remaining broth. Cover and process for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan; stir in the beans, corn and spinach. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted and soup is heated through. If desired, sprinkle with fresh sage.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 279 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 1097mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 10g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 2, 2018
Excellent soup as written. I have made this several times as written and have added diced chicken, used different beans. I have also used pumpkin instead of the squash. Very good recipe. Joyce Moynihan, Volunteer Field Editor.
Aug 20, 2017
Just made this.....yummmmm me!!! My sister gave me two good-sized butternut squash from their garden.. I used one to make this soup. I used fresh tomatoes from our garden, added two more of the chipolte peppers, some more of the adobo sauce, salt, pepper and about 1/4 t of paprika. Will serve with a good southern cornbread. Think the flavors will meld overnight and this will be even better tomorrow! Thank you for a great recipe.
Nov 2, 2016
I wanted to love this soup but I just found there was too much in it. In fact, I had tasted it when there was just broth, spices, tomatoes, carrot and squash (I roasted mine) and found it delicious. I'll make it again but without the chipotle, corn, beans and cream cheese. May keep the spinach or may not.
Oct 29, 2016
Delicious. I may add another pepper next time to make a little more spicy.
Oct 28, 2016
We added smoked turkey breast at the end and wow! This was so tasty. I will be making this again for sure.
Nov 20, 2015
I really liked the flavor. I would do this again, just without the seeds of the chipotle pepper and with about a 1/3 of the pepper.
Oct 26, 2015
This soup is more like a meatless squash chili! Delicious!
Oct 21, 2015
Excellent recipe! I made two changes because I didn't have all ingredients on hand. I didn't have the chipotle in adobo sauce. I just used dried chipotle: about 1/8 teaspoon, and it was just enough heat. I didn't have fresh basil, so instead of using a can of plain tomatoes I used the kind with basil, oregano and garlic in it. I will be making this on a regular basis this fall.
Oct 11, 2015
First time I made this, I used one chipotle pepper and it was very hot. Too hot for my husband. I made it again and used a 1/3 of a chipotle and it was perfect. Love this recipe, definitely a great comfort soup!
May 19, 2015
Delicious! Didn't have any black beans so just left them out. Still so good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.