Chicken Butternut Chili
At our house, we just love a good comforting, hearty, tomato-based chili with bold flavors! This unique chili is loaded with veggies and flavor. You can also prepare the recipe in the slow cooker. Just add ingredients to the crock and cook over high heat for about 4 hours. —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium chili seasoning mix
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute carrots, celery and onion until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in squash, tomato, tomato paste, seasoning mix and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until squash is tender, 20-25 minutes. Stir in chicken; heat through. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 201 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chicken Butternut Chili in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Apr 12, 2018
This was a quick and easy dinner after a busy day. I used my own chili spice blend, but otherwise I followed the recipe. Bright tomato flavor that went well with the squash and leftover smoked chicken.