Chicken Butternut Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium chili seasoning mix
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute carrots, celery and onion until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in squash, tomato, tomato paste, seasoning mix and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until squash is tender, 20-25 minutes. Stir in chicken; heat through. Sprinkle with cilantro. Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 201 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Apr 12, 2018
This was a quick and easy dinner after a busy day. I used my own chili spice blend, but otherwise I followed the recipe. Bright tomato flavor that went well with the squash and leftover smoked chicken.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.