Chicken Butternut Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium chili seasoning mix
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute carrots, celery and onion until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in squash, tomato, tomato paste, seasoning mix and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until squash is tender, 20-25 minutes. Stir in chicken; heat through. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 201 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 12, 2018
This was a quick and easy dinner after a busy day. I used my own chili spice blend, but otherwise I followed the recipe. Bright tomato flavor that went well with the squash and leftover smoked chicken.