Corn Bread-Topped Chicken Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours.
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe black olives, drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. In a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to slow cooker. In a small bowl, toss chicken with cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir into bean mixture. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and remaining salt. Stir in milk and remaining oil. Drop by tablespoonfuls over chicken mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted in center of topping comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1.330 cups: 372 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1103mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 24g protein.
Jul 23, 2017
Would have been better without the weird "corn bread" that goes on everything and is not like actual corn bread. More like corn meal coating that ruins it.
Jan 22, 2016
The family loved it
Feb 24, 2014
Very tasty & easy to prepare, although I did think the chili needed additional spices. Perhaps I made a mistake on the topping because it seemed to be a little dry. Will definitely make again with some small changes.
Feb 23, 2014
Yumo! Followed recipe except I baked in oven. Topped it with cheese, sour cream and jalepeno.
Feb 22, 2014
I have not tried it yet, but looks awsome, I never adjust a recipe till I make it once.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.