Hamburger Corn Bread Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add beans, tomatoes, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon over filling; gently spread to cover the top.
- Bake, uncovered, 14-18 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 339 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 722mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Mar 16, 2020
This is a great recipe as is but it is also very versatile. You can spice it up with Rotel diced tomatoes and pepper jack cheese. Add more veggies if you like - I used corn and a red bell pepper. There is really no limit to how you can customize this to suit your family. Wonderful recipe to keep in mind when you are having a hard time thinking of what to prepare. Thank you for inspiring me!
Jan 26, 2018
I usually do not review a recipe I have changed but I could not find my original recipe from years ago and so I recreated this variation to share. Prepare Jiffy Corn Bread batter. Let stand (creates crusty top). Brown onion and ground beef. Drain. Add a little garlic and salt. Omit chili, beans and Worcestershire sauce. Replace with corn and green beans or veggies on hand. Add about a cup of mild salsa. Pour mixture into lightly greased (buttered) 8" x 8" Pyrex. Spread a generous layer of shredded cheddar cheese on top. Then spread corn bread batter on top and bake at 425 x 15 min. Serve with sour cream and salad.
Feb 17, 2016
We had this for supper tonight along with a chopped salad. We thought it was delicious. We liked that there was more “filling” than cornbread.After reading the reviews, I decided to use a corn bread mix. I chose Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Corn Meal & Wheat Flour Cornbread Mix.I didn't have an 11x7 pan so I used my Corning 8x8 deep dish casserole. It worked find, but I had to bake it for 24 minutes. It's a keeper!
Jan 21, 2016
Easy, peasy recipe. I use frozen, precooked ground turkey (I buy 3 lbs at a time & cook on weekends, freeze, ready to use). I also add a can of hominy, undrained. Once bean/meat mixture comes to boil, I add 1 tsp cornstarch to thicken. I, too, use Marie Callendar's corn bread mix. Great for cold days!
Dec 24, 2015
Taste was very good. I suggest draining the tomatoes before adding to meat mixture.
Jun 11, 2015
This recipe was eatable but no big wow factor. Won't be making this again!
Jul 3, 2014
I love this recipe. I take a few shortcuts: chunky salsa instead of canned tomatoes; a favorite pepper spice mix (doubled) instead of just chili; and Marie Callendar's cornbread mix instead of homemade. My fiance likes it so much he immediately boxes up the leftovers to take with him to work the next day.
May 7, 2014
Delicious. I also added frozen spinach.
Feb 4, 2014
Very good and simple recipe. Easy to keep ingredients on hand for a last minute quick supper. Everybody liked it!
Jun 14, 2013
Delicious. I used fire roasted tomatoes and added thawed bell pepper and onions (a mix purchased frozen from store) into the Jiffy cornmeal mix. A Keeper!