Chili Mac Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chiles and seasonings. Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° until bubbly, 25-30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 5-8 minutes longer. If desired, top with sliced green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 313 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 15, 2019
what is that mean for the Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Mar 13, 2019
Used 1lb ground turkey and 1 can diced tomatoes with chilis..1 can tomato sauce and skipped all seasonings just added 1 pkg taco seasoning..2 cps pasta...delicious
Oct 24, 2018
Agree wholeheartedly that it's quick
Oct 15, 2017
This is a quick and easy recipe that everyone seemed to enjoy. A couple of people felt it needed more spice, which I did up it a little when I made it but apparently not enough for our family's taste. haha
Oct 10, 2017
Delicious! I am not a recipe follower when it comes to spices. But this one I did. I used turkey and beef. I didn't add the tomato paste. I was amazed that one cup of pasta was enough. Reading the recipe I had my doubts about this feeding ten people, but it could. I added fresh red peppers, loads of onions and garlic. The spices were actually enough!! I will be keeping this recipe for many future meals!!!
Oct 9, 2017
Very easy to make and delicious to eat. Did not use green chiles, garlic, or cumin; added green pepper.
May 30, 2015
I have to say this dish is amazing, tasty, love it. Been cooking a long time, but this has a wonderful kick.
Apr 2, 2015
Easy to fix and such good flavors...will make again.
Feb 27, 2015
Good flavor. I cut the recipe in half because I didn't have enough on hand to make the full amount. I substituted the elbow macaroni with whole grain penne and black beans for the kidney beans. Unfortunately I did not have the green chiles either, but it all turned out good anyways. Probably would have been 5 star if I made it as the recipe stated. Will make again.
Jan 6, 2014
This has become a family favorite!!!