Chili Mac Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chiles and seasonings. Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° until bubbly, 25-30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 5-8 minutes longer. If desired, top with sliced green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 313 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 15, 2019
what is that mean for the Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Mar 13, 2019
Used 1lb ground turkey and 1 can diced tomatoes with chilis..1 can tomato sauce and skipped all seasonings just added 1 pkg taco seasoning..2 cps pasta...delicious
Oct 24, 2018
Agree wholeheartedly that it's quick
Oct 15, 2017
This is a quick and easy recipe that everyone seemed to enjoy. A couple of people felt it needed more spice, which I did up it a little when I made it but apparently not enough for our family's taste. haha
Oct 10, 2017
Delicious! I am not a recipe follower when it comes to spices. But this one I did. I used turkey and beef. I didn't add the tomato paste. I was amazed that one cup of pasta was enough. Reading the recipe I had my doubts about this feeding ten people, but it could. I added fresh red peppers, loads of onions and garlic. The spices were actually enough!! I will be keeping this recipe for many future meals!!!
Oct 9, 2017
Very easy to make and delicious to eat. Did not use green chiles, garlic, or cumin; added green pepper.
May 30, 2015
I have to say this dish is amazing, tasty, love it. Been cooking a long time, but this has a wonderful kick.
Apr 2, 2015
Easy to fix and such good flavors...will make again.
Feb 27, 2015
Good flavor. I cut the recipe in half because I didn't have enough on hand to make the full amount. I substituted the elbow macaroni with whole grain penne and black beans for the kidney beans. Unfortunately I did not have the green chiles either, but it all turned out good anyways. Probably would have been 5 star if I made it as the recipe stated. Will make again.
Jan 6, 2014
This has become a family favorite!!!