Meatless Chili Mac
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (16 ounces) mild chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, macaroni, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt and cumin.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 214 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 857mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Mar 6, 2013
This recipe is quick, inexpensive, tasty, and can be made from pantry staples. It's in my personal recipe hall of fame! It is great over a baked potato or tortilla chips with the sour cream accompaniment. To lower the carb count, I use whole-wheat macaroni, and to lower the sodium, I use low-sodium tomatoes, sauce, and chili powder.
Jun 22, 2012
This is delicious! It smelled so good that we completely forgot about the sour cream! My husband doesn't like spicy food and this has just enough bite for the flavor to linger but does not sting.I used all "no salt added" ingredients and then added the tsp of salt it called for. That was perfect -- not too salty, not lacking salt, and it won't make me gain 3 pounds overnight! We will definitely be making this again and again!
Feb 20, 2012
Love it, It really fills you for low calories
Mar 16, 2011
Definately add the sour cream. That's what helps make this meal delicious. The whole family loved it and no leftovers!
Mar 4, 2011
This recipe was okay, but nothing special. It was lacking flavor and I added a healthy dose of sriracha to amp up the heat level.
Feb 14, 2011
If you are looking for a really good vegetarian recipe that will please everyone, this is the recipe to make!!!
Dec 6, 2010
This is a great dish and easy to fix. I have made this several times now and everyone who trys it likes it. If you have a vegan in the family it is appreciated by them. Ed (77 year old cook)
Nov 29, 2010
Hearty and filling. Every family member loved it (how often does that happen?). Easy, fast and great for a cold day! Give it a try.
Feb 22, 2010
Another of my family's favorites. Use diced tomatoes with green chilies and a little bit of cayenne to add some more kick.
Feb 3, 2010
My husband and I loved this! He is a big meat eater and couldn't believe how good this tasted without meat. I can't wait to make it again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.