Chicken Macaroni Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 packages (7 ounces each) uncooked elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Snipped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add cream and 1-1/2 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add cheese; stir until melted. Add the macaroni, chicken, pimientos, salt and pepper. Add additional broth if needed.
- Pour into a 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 452 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 1081mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 20, 2018
My husband is not a big pasta fan but every time I make this the dish comes back empty! My family just can’t get enough!
Dec 9, 2014
I used shredded cheddar cheese and omitted the pimentos, since we don't care for them. I used bread crumbs on the top before I put it the oven. Turned out great. Everyone liked it. Nice and creamy!
Jan 10, 2013
I made this casserole 2 nights ago & was a little afraid that it wouldn't have much flavor so I cooked a small onion in butter until tender, mixed it in. Then I added bread crumbs and SHREDDED Parmesan cheese on top before baking. It was a huge hit with my husband and my son.
May 25, 2012
good for weeknights, not good enough for company
May 10, 2011
I exchanged one cup of the milk for a can of cream of chicken, I kept everything else the same. Our whole family loved it!!!
Oct 10, 2009
Way to much sodium and fat! Use low sodium broth, either low fat half/half or low fat non-dairy creamer, low fat cheese, no salt, add some onion/grn pepper, poultry seasoning,sage, rosemary, or other spices would help with the flavor.
Sep 14, 2008
I substituted one can of cream of mushroom soup for 1 cup of the milk and used 2 tsp. of Morton's Nature's blend in place of all the seasoning. Was very good.