Hearty Macaroni Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup French-fried onions
- Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to prepared macaroni. Stir in tomatoes.
- Divide half of mixture between two greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dishes; sprinkle each with 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over one casserole. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Sprinkle the second casserole with French-fried onions. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 470 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Dec 30, 2017
Easy and very good
May 28, 2014
Easy and a good comfort food. I will make this again.....when the husband is out of town. He wasn't a fan!
Mar 26, 2014
It was easy and okay but nothing great.
Sep 21, 2013
I don't normally eat boxed mac and cheese, but I find recipes interesting when they incorporate items like this. My husband and I really liked this recipe, and I liked the ease of making it. I tried it with edamame instead of green pepper, still yummy! I will definitely make this again.
Jan 18, 2012
Delicious and easy!~ Theresa
Feb 5, 2011
I have used both ground beef & Italian sausage. <3 Absolutely a family favorite in our house!
Dec 2, 2010
I have made this before but instead of adding green pepper, I substituted a can of Rotel's for the Italian Tomatoes and it came out great. Very easy and tasty.
Sep 29, 2010
Very good. A hit.