Hearty Pizza Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, olives, sugar, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Drain macaroni; add to meat mixture. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 340 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 871mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 14, 2015
Very Easy. Very Tasty. And, Quick. It doesn't get much better than that. I followed the recipe but added a little more pepperoni & cheese to suit my taste. Great with specialty bread & small salad. Will definitely make many times.
Aug 4, 2014
This is FANTASTIC! I've made it several times. This recipe can be used as a base for almost anything you would normally put on your pizza. I added mild peppers last time and I hope to use artichoke hearts next time. Spaghetti sauce & pizza sauce work well in a pinch when plain tomato sauce isn't handy. In fact, it might be better, because you don't need to add the seasoning. The only suggestion I have is to mix some cheese in with the casserole in addition to putting in on top. I made this for a friend's family when she had a baby. She asked me for the recipe and her husband told me twice how much he liked it. I currently have two small casseroles in the freezer :)
Mar 23, 2014
This dish was pretty good, but nothing special. It needed more sauce and seasonings, in my opinion.
Feb 9, 2014
didn't have Italian seasoning but made my own with basil and oregano. upped it a bit due to reviews stating it was bland. seasoned just perfect with my own mix of seasoning.
Sep 8, 2013
A little too bland
Jul 22, 2013
I doubled this for my family of three and had one helping of leftovers for a lunch.
May 19, 2013
OMGoodness, turns out this casserole is just the right size for us **empty nesters**. Look fwd. to making soon!
Feb 17, 2013
I tripled this and I'm glad I did. It's a tastey twist on plain old spagetti and everyone really enjoyed it. Next time I'd leave out the pepperoni and maybe use 1/2 gr.beef and 1/2 Italian sausage. I also added a large green pepper to mine.
Mar 13, 2012
Fast and easy to make. I left out the olives since husband isn't a fan, added a few extra mushrooms. It does need a bit more seasoning added though. Very kid friendly!
Jan 24, 2012
My kids and husband loved it