Hearty Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; set cheese packet aside. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Add the soup, water, ketchup, mustard and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture. Add the corn, cheese, contents of reserved cheese packet, butter and milk. Cook and stir until cheese and butter are melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 480 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 1253mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 19, 2012
<p>This was pretty good but like some others said, it didn't really wow me. I may make it again sometime. I used a whole onion and a whole green pepper - I didn't think 2-3 tbsp. would be nearly enough for a whole pound of ground beef... The measurements kinda made me chuckle:)</p>
Aug 11, 2012
This was a great meal. Leftovers were gone within days
Mar 27, 2012
Very rich, hearty and tasty.
Jan 28, 2012
Oh so creamy & delicious! We added a bit extra onion & green pepper.~ Theresa
Apr 30, 2011
I served this with a warm herbed bread and it was awesome. Very yummy!
Apr 25, 2011
I think this was average. Nothing special. It just didn't have that WOW. To me it tasted like hamburger helper... :((
Apr 5, 2011
My kids are fairly picky eaters. I am asked to make this weekly. I have shared with many family members and it is a hit with my nieces and nephews. This is a very quick tasty meal for a weeknight. AWESOME
Mar 10, 2011
The leftovers warmed up good. For some reason, I liked it better today. I change my mind. I would make it again and possibly up it to 4 stars instead of 3.
Mar 9, 2011
This recipe was just ok to me. It was good. I'm glad I made it. But, I don't think it wowwed me enough to make it again. The corn seemed like an odd ingredient and I think it had too much chili powder in it.
Mar 8, 2011
I love this recipe, I have seriously made it at least 5 times since I got this magazine in the mail. I've tweaked it a bit to fit with pantry staples we have(I make my own mac n cheese) and use marinara sauce instead. This is a HUGE hit with my family, my two young children and husband love it, as do I.