Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (7-3/4 ounces) Mexican-style hot tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- Prepare macaroni and cheese mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook the beef, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the diced tomatoes, green chilies and taco seasoning. Stir in 2 cups cheese, beans, corn, tomato sauce and prepared macaroni and cheese dinner.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with chips and remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until bubbly, 30-35 minutes.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 555 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 1333mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 33g protein.
Apr 6, 2019
Like so many recipes here, complete the recipe! It calls for crushed corn chips! Do I use them for a dip or on top or mixed in? I went back to the pic as think they were on top? Use this ingredient but don't tell me how! Dish is in the oven with chips on top, but really, loss of confidence with this site! Hope it is good?
Dec 17, 2017
Awesome! I have made other mac/hamburger recipes but this is, by far, the best. I subbed Morning Star Crumbles for the hamburger because I'm a vegetarian. Husband didn't even notice. I have never purchased hot tomato sauce, so I subbed salsa which I always have!Update 10 months later, I made it again . This time I used chicken It was good , also.
May 20, 2017
What a terrible waste of ingredients! I like all the ingredients individually but put together they were horrible.
Mar 22, 2017
Very good and filling too!
Feb 11, 2015
I thought it was a great recipe with the possible exception of too much cheese. I cut it back to 1/2 cup of cheese and sprinkled it on top instead of mixing it in.
Jul 13, 2014
Delicious. My kids even liked it. We did regular diced tomatoes and left off the tortilla chips, and it was outstanding. Also used ground turkey.
Jul 13, 2013
My son says he needs this recipe when he returns to college. That's a five-star endorsement.