Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 4 bacon strips, halved
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1 medium lime, cut into four wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, onion, jalapenos, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Chill until serving.
- Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain.
- If grilling the chicken, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- Top with bacon and cheese; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa; squeeze lime wedges over top.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 227 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Sep 30, 2013
Very good. I marinated the chicken breast in a little EVOO along with the taco seasoning which helps keep the breast moist while it cooks.
Jun 30, 2012
Salsa part of this recipe was good but the chicken itself was bland. I have better chicken receipes so not sure I'll be making this one again.
Jan 1, 2012
Awesome chicken dish. I was actually quite disappointed to be full! With a little extra tomato and lime juice, as well as cilantro, the salsa gives a surprisingly spicy kick. Great recipe, can't wait to try it again.
Jul 7, 2011
Love this recipe! Perfect summer dish with great flavor!
Mar 13, 2011
Easy!! Delicious!! A new go-to recipe.
Mar 2, 2011
This was good except it needed more seasoning than just taco seasoning. I put more taco seasoning and also used some salt and garlic powder to help. I made the mistake of using a red onion which overpowered the salsa, but I'd make it again and just tweak the recipe.
Jan 18, 2011
Very good recipe. Will definitely make again.
Dec 3, 2010
My husband did not want to try it. I made it anyway and he tried it and he wants me to make it again. This is a keeper.
Nov 10, 2010
this recipe was fantastic and totally a favorite now!! I used red onion for the onion and for bacon i used turkey bacon and it worked out still yummy! mmmmmmmmm
Oct 27, 2010
This was great! Even my super picky 4 year old ate it (without the salsa). Loved it!