Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, cut up and juice reserved
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine or water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Hot cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Dust chicken with flour. Season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil and butter over medium-high heat. Remove chicken to platter.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir the onion, celery, pepper and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, herbs, garlic and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Serve over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Freeze option: Cool chicken mixture. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts4-1/2 ounce-weight: 517 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Jan 30, 2019
Unbelievably easy; barely took 15 min to prep. Hubs declared it Top 10. Looks like a lot of ingredients, but it’s not – standard stuff, almost no waste. I used a pressure cooker to speed it along, but you could also do a crock pot on 8 hrs Low (prep the night before, dump and stir before work) to make it more weeknight friendly. Makes quite a lot of sauce – if you are only feeding 2 people, I would eyeball it before adding the chicken, and consider freezing half. Then just cook enough chicken for the immediate need.
Jan 19, 2019
I avoid signing up to give comments like the plague. But I just had to tip my hat to this recipe. So easy. So simple. So much depth of flavor in such a short time. I'm now making this recipe at least twice a month. Before, I would only make it about 3 times a year to avoid the long prep and clean up times - and then only for company.
Nov 27, 2018
This recipe was a hit! Made it in Culinary School today and everyone raved how good it was! Major difference was I cooked for 35-40 people (approx 50 pieces of chicken) times the recipe by 5...used a large pan, utilizing 4 burners to brown the chicken and start the Veggies
Mar 4, 2018
this was really good, will make again, used on sale chicken thighs
Jan 24, 2018
This recipe is fabulous! The sauce has a great flavor! We served it with pan browned polenta slices, and put more of the sauce over it. I have used cut up chicken parts, and another time just legs. I am planning on making it again and freezing it too. Highly recommended.
Jan 7, 2018
Outstanding flavor!!! Used chicken breasts, and topped with Parmesan when serving it. A real keeper!
Jan 2, 2018
This recipe was my first try at chicken cacciatore and it was fantastic. I used chicken thighs and added 1/4 cup parmesan. The recipe was easy and we'll be having this at least once or trice monthly.
Sep 19, 2017
To answer jThundr2's question: Most, but not all, alcohol cooks away when you use wine in cooking. Instead, substitute apple juice in recipes calling for white wine, and substitute cranberry juice in those asking for red wine. Both add the depth of flavor that wine provides, but without the alcohol. Sorry, but I can't rate the Chicken Cacciatore because I haven't made it yet!
Sep 19, 2017
Excellent recipe. I made as printed except for using frozen chicken breasts which were flattened. My son who is very picky said it was wonderful and wants it again next week! The sauce had a wonderful tangy flavor. Just excellent.
Nov 29, 2016
Great meal to make ahead. I use chicken thighs and serve with mashed potatoes or soft polenta.