Zippy Chicken Cacciatore
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked spaghetti, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the green pepper, mushrooms and garlic in remaining oil until vegetables are tender.
- Add the tomato puree, stewed tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, remaining salt and reserved chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in parsley. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Serve over spaghetti if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 248 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 857mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 2, 2018
I really enjoyed this dish. The only change I made was to add about 1/4 cup of red wine to the sauce. This recipe was fairly easy to make, and it tasted great.
Jun 30, 2017
Got rave reviews from family members. Used boneless chicken thighs and 1/2 c white wine, So easy. I have done it in the crock pot and on the stove simmering. Both were great!
Aug 3, 2016
Wonderful!! A hit with my whole family! I used a can of crushed tomatoes (28 oz) instead of the stewed tomatoes and tomato puree. I also threw in a little pizza sauce and 1/4 cup salsa. Instead of chicken breast halves, I used a family pack size of chicken leg quarters.
Jul 20, 2016
This dish received rave reviews from my family!! My picky eater even declared she liked mushrooms after all. :~) We will be making this easy entree again. Thanks for the recipe.
Oct 15, 2015
One of mine & my husbands favorites! The chicken gets so tender and the sauce is amazing!
Apr 9, 2015
This was good. Used some roasted chopped chicken instead of chicken breast cause I had it. Added diced onion.
Mar 9, 2015
This was very tasty. I used the pop out frozen garlic that Michelle showed us at the cooking school. Great recipe. Will make again. Yum Yum!
Mar 12, 2014
Kids & husband loved this!
Mar 9, 2010
Absolutely amazing, my children ate this and praised me,( they actually even ate the tomatos)I really enjoyed this version of Cacciatore, great meal!