Chunky Chicken Cacciatore
This recipe is so versatile! Look in your fridge for anything else you want to throw in, like red pepper, mushrooms, extra zucchini—you name it. And if you're a vegetarian, go ahead and leave out the chicken. —Stephanie Loaiza, Layton, Utah
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 jar (24 ounces) garden-style spaghetti sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Sliced ripe olives and shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place chicken and vegetables in a 3-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with oregano. Pour sauce over top. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; break up slightly with two forks. Return to slow cooker. Serve with spaghetti. If desired, top with olives and cheese.
Freeze Option: Place the first six ingredients in a large resealable plastic freezer bag; seal bag and freeze. To use, place filled freezer bag in refrigerator 48 hours or until contents are completely thawed. Cook and serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 285 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Chicken Cacciatore in Simple & Delicious December/January 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.