Zippy Chicken Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes11 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrot
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion, celery and carrot in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, chicken, parsley, lemon juice and salt; heat through (do not boil).
Nov 17, 2018
My kids ask for this soup all the time. They are adults and ask for it when they come home from college
Oct 24, 2016
This recipe is one of our family favorites.
Sep 22, 2013
Followed recipe exactly & it is delicious! Made it for my in-laws & my father in-law wanted the recipe! Next time I won't dice the mushrooms, celery & carrots -- I like my soups chunkier. Definitely recommend!
Apr 6, 2013
This was delicious. I made a few adjustments... I didn't have cream so I used half and half instead and I only used 1.5 cups of it... Just to reduce calories. I also only had black pepper and only used 1/2 teaspoon. I also added 1 tblsp garlic while sautéing the veggies.. Turned out fab!
Oct 30, 2012
After reading all of the glowing reviews, I decided this would be the perfect soup to make for a cold rainy night--WRONG! It was so bad there was only one thing I could do with it and that's throw it down the disposer. Perhaps it was the amount of pepper. I thought the addition of black and white pepper was a bit much so I only added half the amount of white pepper and used just a few dashes of hot pepper sauce. When I tasted the soup, it tasted like milky pepper soup. Tried adding a few ingredients to give it more flavor but to no avail. Save your money and time and find another recipe!
Sep 4, 2012
This is by far one of the best soups I have ever eaten. Creamy goodness! I will definately fix this soup often.
Jan 23, 2012
Wonderful fresh and tastes even better the second day.
Nov 23, 2011
Nov 4, 2010
OMG! I made this last year a few times because it is so delicious and I have been craving it again this year! Sooo good! I use Shredded chicken and left out the Tarragon as I do not have it and added extra hot sauce (I used tapatio for my soup)Cant wait to make it again on a cold day : )
Feb 26, 2010
We're not big soup fans in our family, but everyone LOVED this soup! My 9 year old even asked to take some to school for lunch the next day!