Zippy Beef Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the butter, zucchini, mushrooms and onions; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Drain. Stir in the chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Add the rice, chilies, sour cream and half of the cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1/4 each: 462 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 944mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Dec 1, 2014
Love this recipe !! I use yellow, green, and mexican squash in this. Love it with a wild rice mix also, if you want more spice use hot chilis & papper jack cheese. The left overs re-heat wonderful.
Mar 14, 2014
I like this dish a lot. Any thing with green chillis in it is for me.
Aug 14, 2013
My husband and I really enjoyed this casserole. I'll definitely be making it again and will be sharing the recipe with my zucchini-loving friends!
Aug 3, 2013
Tasty, the zucchini and mushrooms offer an unexpected flavor.
Jul 27, 2012
This is a favorite recipe. I go back to it regularly and there's never any leftovers!
Feb 6, 2012
Made this last night for supper and hubby really loved it. I liked the texture better before I put it in the oven to bake- the sour cream was all sucked up by the rice by the time it came out and the creamy texture wasn't there. However, I have to say we both liked it and hubby has already said, "I hope you'll make this again cause I really liked it."
Mar 1, 2010
Very good, but a little bland. I might add some more spice to it next time.
Sep 1, 2009
Love this receipe my husband wants me to double for this weekend, great taste, yummy with zucchini from out garden.
Aug 25, 2009
I made this recipe with yellow squash rather than zucchini. I also omitted the chilis and used a slightly spicy Jambalaya Rice Mix for the rice. I used plain cheddar cheese as well. I also used ground turkey. This dish seems very versitile as I substituted a lot of the ingrdients to fit my pantry.
Aug 25, 2009
Does anyone know if the zucchini could be substituted with yellow squash?