Chicken Cacciatore Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes7 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- In a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms and leeks in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, chicken, tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, pasta, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender. Top each serving with cheese and basil. Freeze option: Before adding cheese and basil, cool soup and transfer to freezer containers. Freeze up to 3 month. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and basil.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 283 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 951mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 20, 2011
Have made this many times and I love it! Great family dish to prepare.
Aug 12, 2009
This was a delicious soup recipe with lots of flavor - definitely put the shredded parmesan or asiago on top along with the fresh basil; it makes a beautiful finish!