Chicken Cacciatore Over Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion and green pepper in oil until chicken is lightly browned and vegetables are tender. Add tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Dec 13, 2016
I didn't have the tomato sauce and used a 1/2 can tomato paste plus 2/3 cup chicken broth instead. This made a sweet tasting sauce so to counter it I added 2 teaspoons capers and a drop of their liquiid and the results were perfect! Also used double oregano and some fresh thyme. Just Love the end results!
Jun 3, 2014
Family said this recipe was a keeper. Pretty high praise.
Jul 14, 2012
Awesome recipe. I am a firefighter and I cook this for the guys at work. They loved it. I doubled the recipe added mushrooms, and crush red pepper to it. Cooked it over fettuccine. It is on our rotation for dinner at work.
Aug 12, 2011
I served this last night over brown rice and my family loved it. My 6 year old said the he liked the ice cream we had for dessert better. I can't imagine why.
May 22, 2011
This was a wonderful quick recipe. I was lucky enough to have some fresh herbs growing so I used about 1 tbsp of fresh parsley, 1 tsp of fresh oregano, 1/2 tsp of fresh basil and a fresh bay leaf.
Apr 18, 2011
I really liked it. I also added fresh mushrooms.
Aug 19, 2010
easy and ingredients you about alwys hve on hand
Jul 15, 2010
This recipe is very flavorful if you use 2 green peppers, make it in the morning and let it sit all day. The flavors really intensify. I serve it with penne. Italians call it Hunters's Stew
Feb 1, 2010
Awesome recipe, we all loved it. Served with spaghetti noodles since husband does not like rice. Easy and Tastey!
Jan 28, 2010
I added a bay leaf and some thyme. Turned out real good. Healthy too!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.