Potluck Chicken Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Cook: 2 hours 5 min.
Makes16 servings (about 4 quarts)
- 1 roasting chicken (about 5 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups frozen peas, optional
- Place the chicken, celery, onion and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; cool.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to pan. Add the tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, turnip, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add broccoli and peas if desired; simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 195 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2018
This has excellent flavour and I've learned that cooking the whole chicken gives the best flavour for stock. I added leeks and some chick peas. Tastes great for those cold winter nights.
Aug 8, 2011
The various seasonings give this soup a lot of flavor. I had to skip the tarragon as I didn't have that on hand & I substituted an extra potato for the turnip. Makes a huge batch - will be freezing a portion of it.