Herbed Bread Twists
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram and oregano
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine butter and seasonings. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Spread with butter mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold dough into thirds. Cut widthwise into 24 strips. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Beat egg and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375° until light golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 twist: 84 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 23, 2018
I couldn't find any frozen bread dough and used French Bread in a tube. NOT a good substitute and they came out hard, tasteless and dry. I also over-cooked them, but the French Bread was not a good substitute. Too bad cause they look yummy.
Jan 20, 2013
This was so good, I'd give it 6 stars if I could! The spice combination is delicious, and these rolls come out of the oven looking like they came from a gourmet Italian restaurant.I made a few minor adjustments: Instead of 1/4 cup butter, I only used 2 Tbsp, while leaving the spice amounts as written. I thought 2 Tbsp worked fine, and the taste was still great! Also, in addition to the 3/4 cup mozzarella, I sprinkled in some grated Parmesan cheese because my family loves the taste.Soft, doughy, and cheesy, these are rolls I will definitely make again and again!