Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add 2 cups of flour, sugar, salt, milk, butter, egg and remaining water; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Roll into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Brush with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Let dough rest for 6 minutes. Cut lengthwise into three 16x4-in. strips. Cut each strip into sixteen 4x1-in. pieces. Twist and place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 71 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 31, 2017
Very good. I made with half white whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour. I wanted smaller bite size (well, 2 bites) so rolled the dough to 18 x 12 and cut lengthwise into 4 sections instead of 3. Baking time was the same. I took to a party and they disappeared.
Aug 23, 2016
These are fantastic. Make 'em for a very picky hubby who can't get enough. I use a vanilla glaze as well. Is it ok to freeze some and for how long? Thanks!
Apr 22, 2016
One of the very first Taste of Home recipes I tried.
Apr 26, 2011
Excellent! I made these for Easter morning and drizzled them with a butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla glaze. They were just about gone by the end of the day!
Feb 5, 2011
I made these with my mom when I was younger and they were wonderful! Sold great at bakesales too. Can't wait to make these with my girls.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.