Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugars, nutmeg, salt, eggs and orange zest and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. On a floured surface, roll out one portion into a 13-1/2x6-in. rectangle. With a sharp knife, cut dough into thirty-six 1-1/2-in. squares.
- Using a sharp knife and beginning at the bottom of the lower left square, make two 1-in. vertical cuts 1/2 in. apart. Braid the three attached strips; pinch ends to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining squares and the remaining dough. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 40 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels.
- In a large saucepan, combine glaze ingredients. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat. Dip warm doughnuts in glaze. Place on wire racks with waxed paper underneath.
1 doughnut: 111 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.