Spinach Herb Twists
"My mom made these for us when we were kids," shares Amy Estes of Wichita, Kansas. "The twists are a tasty way to serve spinach." A hot roll mix makes them easy, but bake the twists with your favorite yeast-bread recipe if you'd like.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 5 cups packed torn fresh spinach
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- Place spinach in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or until limp. Drain well and set aside. In a small skillet, saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; transfer to a bowl. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and spinach; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the contents of the roll mix and yeast packets; beat in the warm water, egg and 2 tablespoons butter until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Melt the remaining butter; brush over dough. Spread spinach mixture over dough to within 1/4 in. of edges. Fold each rectangle in half lengthwise; pinch seams to seal. Cut each rectangle into twelve 1-in.-wide strips.
- Twist strips and place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 375° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 90 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Spinach-Herb Twists in Light & Tasty December/January 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.