Skillet Herb Bread
This recipe was one of my mother's favorites. The flavors call to mind the taste of corn bread stuffing! —Shirley Smith, Yorba Linda, California
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, sage and thyme. Combine cornmeal, celery, onion and pimientos; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Add eggs, milk and oil; stir just until moistened. Pour into a greased 10- or 11-in. ovenproof skillet. Bake at 400° for 35-45 minutes or until bread tests done. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 278 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 595mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Skillet Herb Bread in Reminisce November/December 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.