Herbed Peasant Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°) plus 2 tablespoons warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large skillet, cook onion in butter over low heat until tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, herbs, yeast and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch the dough down. Shape into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Remove to a wire rack; brush with melted butter. Cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 121 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 10, 2019
just an all around very good bread. It's a keeper.
Jan 26, 2018
Love this bread. I make it all of the time. I don't even use fresh onions, I use dried minced onions and I have switched herbs for different loaves and/or omitted all together. I even have subbed with a small amount of wheat and rye flours. I also made a sweet bread with cinnamon, raisins, brown sugar. It is great as is but is also a great base for numerous different loaves of bread! Thank you for the great recipe.
Dec 24, 2017
What a wonderful bread! The flavor from the herbs is awesome! This recipe is a real keeper. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Dec 16, 2017
Very tasty and easy to make
May 8, 2017
Love the combination of herbs in this bread. I've even adapted this one for my bread machine.
Dec 9, 2016
Needs more salt. Otherwise, a simple bread to go with soup or salad.
Nov 29, 2016
Very nice bread. Easy to make and only the second time I have made bread. Whole family enjoyed this. Will definitely make again. Thanks for the recipe.
Jan 1, 2016
The bread was very tasty, but when we baked it without a pan, it kind of fell flat. Maybe our levening agents were old.
Aug 13, 2015
I substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup regular. Turned out great.
Feb 3, 2015
I made this recipe today in my bread machine on manual. I made to dough into 4 balls and baked that way. EXECELLANT!!! I don't like rosemary so didn't put in. Wonderful flavor, great crumb and moist. Will be making this recipe as one of my regulars.