Chicken Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil and butter until tender. Stir in the flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, corn and chilies; bring to a boil. Add chicken. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add the milk, cheese and cumin. Cook and stir until cheese is melted (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 390 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1037mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 12, 2011
This was really good. I added celery and carrots.
Jan 22, 2010
This soup is great! I used roasted red peppers instead of the chilies. We all loved it. My husband is still talking about it. I guess I will be making this again soon.